Friday, 17 April 2009

and breath...

yeahhhh I finally fixed all that complex maths stuff and was able to take a few hours off and take stock....I can't belive how long it took me to do that, in the end I had pretty much the same code I had before but made it more effective. The problem which I simply could not work out was to do with the way Maya(a 3d art package Steve the artist uses) exported the models for our game..

There's no direct way to extract collision data from Nintendo models so I use a rather complex..and frankly damn bloody clever way to get to the info. This extractor is one of my proudest achievments. But what I didn't realise was that in past project I used 3DS models which exported things just very slightly differently.

I won't bore you with details but basically my extractor got confused by this odd data format and though it generated valid values there were just wrong and I could not work out why until I managed to step through an evaluate the whole of the program rather than just focus on the apparently fault ray cast system.
Ah well, done now.. I am frankly exhausted though, pretty much constant working for 2 weeks on this, without a break, till 4,5,6am some days.

But its done...time to get some gameplay code done.


No comments: