Wednesday 10 October 2012

Oh Goodie more hospital visits

So after being suitably shaken by 2 migraines in a row I managed to get in to see my Doc who prompty made clear he wasn't too keen on a man nearing his 50's suddenly developing migraines especially considering my past history....hmm reassuring or what? But he did say that theres lots of reasons to get migraines and he just wants to be sure.

Immediate referral to constultant...which I had to call and make a "very" prompt appointment.

The nice thing about The Netherlands is they way they deal with shit so promptly, one of the not so nice things however is trying to book appointments with hospital staff, which is one of the very very few areas where English is not so widely spoken..

So after calling the number in the referral letter,  to book an appointment at the Neurology dept, I got a receptionist who spoke a little English. I explained my doctor wanted me to book an appointment for neurology, and was then asked a serioues of odd questions to "register me" in the system and my "daughter" ermm no not daughter, doctor..in fairness they are pronounced almost the same here...ok took a while but so far so good...Then she transfered me to the poli (clinic)

A few minutes of waiting and being bounced on hold and I get someone who speaks quite good English, I explain I need to make an appointment, and once agian get asked a series of odd questions...ending with questions about my wifes medical history...
"ermm sorry what, I'm not married"
" oh sorry your daughter......"
"ermm she's in the UK"
" oh sorry, your mother then"
" also in the UK, why is this relevent?"
" I'm sorry I thought you were a man, please excuse me".
 "I am  man, why do you think I am a women..."

"Oh but you said you wanted an appointment....this is the Gynocology dept!!"

ah....penny dropped, the daughter/doctor thing started a chain reaction which could have ended up with me in stirrups having my migrine checked out in a very odd way.

Anway, after transferring again I get to the right dept,
"Good afternoon, is it possible we can speak in English"
"No!" Comes that horrible reply.

Fortunatley my collegue Nils was around and I asked him to help me out.

So I now have my appointment to se the Neurology consultant next Wednesday....no stirrups I hope!




Ahthankyew

No comments: