Saturday 3 August 2019

New PC day... so soon?

DPD finally delivered the PC to the pickupshop, again after 2 attempts it seems, when they were not officially open, so it is here now, on Saturday, not Monday as they stated...terrible company..but at last I have a budget upgraded PC.

I mean it has to be 9 or 10 years since my last one?

As I've noted before, I am not someone who has to have the very latest PC's, I get the most powerful one I can afford at the time, and keep it uptodate with occasional drive and graphic card updates as long as possible.

Pretty sure I have had the current one for at least 9 years, and it itself was a refurb several new graphic cards and SSD drives have kept it working but its started to show its age recently and had a couple of unexplained crashes that scared me.... So Ive splashed out on a new refurb. This isn't going to be my main PC though, just a back up for use upstairs when the heat gets too much. The Main PC does indeed still need to be replaced in the next year or so, but it still servicable for the moment, for much of my work. Though it does chug a bit on VR projects. I will do a major upgrade on that around Christmas bonus time when I should have recovered my finances after the year of paying out.

The new PC is an off the shelf refub gamer PC from ebay, with the same 1050ti graphic card I've found works well in my current PC, but this has a later gen faster I7 CPU, 2600 @3.4ghz compared to the i7 860 2.8ghz on my main PC, its quite a bit faster. Also 16GB of new RAM compared to 8GB and.... though the benefits of this are less obvious to me, Windows 10.. not 8.1 they also sent me a pretty naff wired keyboard and mouse, and a refurbed Del monitor which is quite useful.. so overall not bad for £392 . Im pretty sure the old one cost a lot more than that. Its not  very exandable though, only 1 slot for a graphic card, and one IDE for any extra cxards I might want to add, but it will do the job.

I've turned off all the horrible flash LED fan lights and got it set into a more sedate, quiet fan update in the background mode and its all good.

Just starting the process of setting up the 100's of dev tools I like to have available, all of which take forerver to download. The supplied mini dongle for wifi didn't really cut it, but lucky I had another dongle that has an antenna that gives a good solid signal and the PC is busy doing its thing for the next few days of downloads.

I'll leave it in peace to get on with it.



Ahthankyew

No comments: