Monday 5 August 2019

Well this is better than I expected


The new PC is amazing and has a feature I honestly never noticed.. It has on board graphics, pretty shitty low level on board Intel, graphics but still.. They were naturally disabled in favour of the (now medium level) graphic card a GTX1050ti I had asked for.

The 1050 is a great card and more than meets my general needs and VR requirements, but  it does mean I have to dedicate the HDMI slot to the VR and that leaves only a Display port and DVI for monitors, so 2... I like 3. I hated having to sacrafice a monitor on my dev PC to a VR unit.
So I decided to try and go into the BIOS and activate the onboard graphics as well, fully expecting them not to... but they did.. And now I can drive up to 6 monitors, 3, dvi, 2 display ports and 1 hdmi

I still have to dedicate the hdmi to my Oculus, as it does not really play well with switches. but that leaves 5 ports open to use for editing and coding, just the way I like it. :D

I only want 3 though, a centre monitor, a side portrait monitor, and a side landscape monitor.  I will put 1 more of the dvi's to use to drive an image to the projector should I want to play games. :D

I don't quite know how the gpu's are working, it may be, I need to drive a fast game to a monitor hooked up to the 1050ti, but thats easy to arrange.

I am really pleased with this arrangment... now if I just had a decent chair upstairs, I might move all my work to the studio... but for now I'll keep this as a summer place to work.

Ahthankyew

No comments: