Wednesday 18 July 2012

biting off more than I can chew

but I enjoy a challenge

I love the song Crazy in Love by Beyonce and have heard a couple of brilliant covers done in totally different styles, but none quite as amazing as this version from Antony Hegary of Antony and The Johnsons. Its utterly haunting with his strange weird but beautiful voice turning an upbeat uptempo number into something haunting and pained...



I tried to do a version of this months ago, but I didn't get anywhere at all, clearly I can't sing like him at all so needed to come up with a version that captured the style and pace and didn't need a full orchestra
I can't find a score or tabs for it anywhere on line, which is not surprising since its a bit of a hidden gem. So I've spent quite a lot of time working out the arpegios and timing..
Well I've got the chords worked out, which is not hard since its just riffing on a Cm and a G#m and I have some of the little solo parts worked out....now I just need to try and lay down some tracks for bass and some kind of fake strings and then we'll think about vocals...

I will try to lay down the main "harp" part on guitar tomorrow, then see what I can do about some of the overlayed stuff

I'm in no rush on this one, its a big project and I want to get a nice clean sound to capture the essence of this but do it my way..so plenty of time.....or I'l scrub it again and try in a few months.

Ahthankyew

No comments: